Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Investigation!

Well, I decided that I would investigate the "fruit" and it's stains (even before my sweet sister Deb suggested it) and this is what I found:
Practically everyone recognizes a walnut tree when the nuts are on it. Their distinct shape, pattern and smell are hard to miss. The stain the hulls leave on your skin when you hull walnuts is hard to get off; pioneers used this to dye their cloth.The nuts fall when the hulls are green but they will turn black as they ripen. The chemicals in the hulls (both green and black) will stain your skin brown- chlorine bleach will remove the stains.




2 comments:

JKCDJ Families said...

Thanks for the info, Jo, Anmer and I really liked learning from you! (I won't tell you that A.M. just said, "I didn't know Aunt Jodi could do all that!")
Seriously, we think that's cool!!
-Deb & Anmer

JKCDJ Families said...

We are so proud of you, Little Jo!

Kelly