Mal and I are going on a mother/daughter trip on Monday and part of the fun was for her to get her ears pierced first! Although I can't believe I put this dreadful picture of me on here, it captures me marking where I wanted the MD to do the piercing
Here are the gold plated starter earrings.
Because Mal has a nickel allergy, we thought it would be best to very quickly get the starters out and put in ones that we knew she would not be allergic to. The first one went so smoothly. She never even felt that I took one out and put the other one in. The second one, not so much. I could not get it in. It did not make sense that it could have closed in the 3 seconds it took me to remove the starter and try to put the other one in. After a few minutes some panic set in. We were praying and begging God to just let me get it through. I went back to trying to get the starter in because it had a point on the tip. For some reason, I could not find the exact path that had just been pierced. Mal so so brave. I basically had to re-pierce just by pushing it through skin. (It was quite an odd feeling that is still haunting me a bit.) After it made it through I pulled it back out and the other one went right in. I know you may be wondering about our decision to do this, but we decided it was best. We have heard of others who have this allergy leaving the starters in and then getting infected and having to let them close up. One of Mal's friends has gone through this twice. This was enough to make us decide that this was the best course of action even though the starters from the doctor have a slightly wider post.
Here is a picture of the James Avery earrings that she will wear as her starters for 6 weeks. I chose to put this ear on here since the other one was quite red after my semi-surgical procedure!
3 comments:
I love the James Avery earrings. So glad it all worked out! Julie
Oh wow! was Faith's response....way to be brave, Mal!
Cheri
Mallory is one of the toughest kids I know! An MD pierces ears? I have never heard of that!
jo
Post a Comment