Monday, April 5, 2010

Weekend at Ellison Ranch

This picture doesn't do justice to the beautiful view outside the ranch home we stayed in.
Checking traps near the feeders - a dead raccoon in this trap!
Jake and Lane hunted from this blind the last time they came to the Ellison Ranch. This was the first visit for Julie and Luke.
The Ellisons are friends of ours from TKD. They have two girls, Bri and Lexi. Mom knows them well from watching the TKD tests - Luke and Bri have been testing partners several times. Chuck and his brother have homes on their ranch in Coleman County. The two homes are on 2,000 acres.

Filling feeders with chuck.
Headed out on a morning turkey hunt.
Mom, thanks for my shirt! I went out on one of the hunts!

While the boys did not get a turkey this time, they had great fun chasing several gobblers that came their way! Luke was just out of range of one of them - a gobbler chasing about 10 hens! We also saw deer and tons of cardinals, along with some quail. Thankfully, no mountain lions or rattlesnakes!
Chuck let the boys take his cart out and go hunting by themselves. They LOVED driving this cart around the ranch!

5 comments:

JKCDJ Families said...

Looks like a blast! M and M would so love that.

K

JKCDJ Families said...

I love all the pictures! How nice to be out in the wide, open country!
love you!
Cheri

Anne Marie said...

Way cool! That looks like so much fun!! But you know me--I don't think I would be able to shoot anything. Anyways I am glad that ya'll had so much fun! Love, Anmer.

JKCDJ Families said...

What an incredible experience! The boys will never forget these times!
jo

JKCDJ Families said...

Jules, you look like a natural "huntress"
What wonderful family memories!!
-Deb Daar