Friday, May 22, 2009

Encouragement

This week some neat things happened that made me feel so blessed and encouraged...we hear so much of the bad news of the world, but then there's this...

1. In a small town like ours (at least it seems small to me!) you constantly see people you know - maybe not their name - but from certain walks of life. For instance, over the years, I've come to know one of the clerks at the Family Christian Store, at least by sight. Earlier this week I was in HEB and we caught each other's eye. Her greeting to me was: "Praise be to His Name!" What a great way to start the day!

2. At the Nimitz Jr. High Awards assembly, a former teacher took the podium and gave an award in her son's memory. He apparently had some physical and mental problems, but attended public school until he passed away. She gave the award to a current Nimitz student who "overcame her own obstacles." When the young lady was called forward to receive the award, all of the Nimitz students literally jumped to their feet and gave her a standing ovation. The young lady was beaming. Then, another award was given to a special needs student. Again, the student body clapped and clapped and made this young man feel so good. I was so proud of these students for making their peers feel special.

3. Today in Walgreens my debit card wouldn't work the first three tries. The lady next to me said she'd really like to pay for my purchase. Thankfully, my card worked on the fourth try, but I was so touched by her generosity.

I saw God's goodness in each of these moments!

Have a good night!

Julie

4 comments:

JKCDJ Families said...

Those are great stories! I love your small town and I think you have many advantages that we do not. Thanks for sharing!

K

JKCDJ Families said...

Jules, thank you for sharing those stories, what a great way for me to wake up this morning, being encouraged!!
Deb Daar

JKCDJ Families said...

Jules- We all need to hear encouraging stories like these! Thank you for sharing them! I love you!
Jo

JKCDJ Families said...

Jules,
i love those!!! thanks so much for sharing them....I love Odessa and you are blessed to live there!
love ya!
Cheri