I needed to test the camera before Mal's party so I videoed this. I had to also test the upload so I just decided to leave it on. My camera got all messed up last night when M and M had Youth and Government. I was so excited to post video from it so that you all could see the process. For some reason, it was all messed up. Both Mason and Mallory did a wonderful job presenting their bills. They are doing the same bill, but that is okay since they are in different groups. The bill is to lower the age to be able to obtain a Concealed Handgun License from 21 to 18. Here is how the process works. They give an opening statement telling about their bill and why they think it should be voted into law. Next there is a question and answer period. The Chair has to recognize the Delegate who rises to ask a question, and the bill author has to agree to answer the question. If the Delegate says, "I rise to ask the bill author a possible series of questions'" the author can say yes, or he/she can say "I will agree to 1 question" (or two, etc.). Mallory only agreed to one question for the Delegates she knew would be challenging. They are learning to work the process! The next segment is the Pro/Con Debate. During the question and answer period, the delegates are getting up and signing their names on the list if they want to speak pro or con for the bill. They are also turning in any amendments they want to propose if they like the bill, but will only vote for it with certain changes. After the Pro/Con Debate, the amendments are presented and voted on. The last section is the Author's Summation. During this time the author is able to address the things that the Con speakers talked about. Both Mason and Mallory's bills passed. This was a practice for the District Y and G meetings that will be held in Nov. and Dec. This is where they will present their bills to Delegates from the Houston area. Hopefully I can get some pics then.
6 comments:
Wish I could have been there for the Youth and Government class- I would have signed yes!
nice music guys!
josbcglobal.net
that was from me-jo
I like the piano playing, Mal..
that is so neat about the class...how neat they are learning that...we walked into the library, (Kel- remember we were on the phone with you) and Faith was very curious about what early voting was going on.....I need to study up on all this!
Cheri
oopps, Mason, your guitar playing was good, too! and i like your room!
Cheri
Very, very intersting. I loved debate in high school! Did you find a new piano teacher? You are a gifted musician! Julie
Meant to say gifted musicians (plural!) Julie
Post a Comment