This dresser is from Terracewood Circle! I can't remember which sister had it in her room. Do any of you remember having the dresser with the double second drawer? This dresser has been many colors over the years. Mason, Mallory, and I primed and painted it on Saturday. This is the table that Tim made, and it was originally blue. The kids and I painted it on Saturday also.
As you know, I have never painted before. There is quite a learning curve involved in painting rooms. It does not look awful, but it was clearly done by an amateur. There are mess ups that only I can see, mess ups that are hidden behind furniture, and mess ups that are clear for anyone to see if they even stand in the doorway! I don't think that the satin sheen was a good choice. The man at Lowes talked me into it saying that it would be show less stains and be easier to clean. I specifically asked if I could go back and touch up places without it being noticeable. He said yes. Well, I must not know how to do that. See the shiny areas on the wall in the picture below? I touched up places there, and it clearly shows. I could buy more paint and roll the wall again, but I am not thinking at this point that I will do that.
Please allow me to show you the only part of the room that I am proud of. Look at this line!! I taped it off and was very careful to paint slowly. I must say that these are the straightest baseboard lines in our entire house. Now..........lest I be too prideful........I did not know that rollers splatter. After I finished the entire room and was admiring my baseboard lines, I noticed tiny little specks of paint on ALL the baseboards. I was duely humbled.
I had ceiling issues. Since I felt successful with the tape on the baseboards, I thought I should tape the ceiling also. I was planning to do this on Tuesday morning. Well, I woke up at 5:30 and could not figure out where Tim was. I went upstairs to find that he was almost finished taping it off for me. This was so very sweet of him! He knew that it would be a neck issue for me tape and paint, so he was surprising me. Unfortunately, it did not work. The ceiling is so textured that the tape can't make a good seal. The first section I did with the tape bled onto the ceiling, and I had to prime and paint that part of the ceiling. Can I tell you the major crick in my neck from standing on the ladder with my head tilted in order to do the ceiling lines by hand?? I was initially quite proud of the lines until Ifinished and looked at them all together. You can't really tell from the picture, but I should have gone a bit closer to the ceiling. It looks like there is a 1/4 inch gap between the wall and the ceiling. I was quite discouraged about that, but not so discouraged as to redo it.Lesson number 1,623 was provided after my attempt to patch some holes in the wall. The nice man at Lowes gave me the correct spackling and told me how to do it. He cautioned me to not smooth it out. He said that the walls are textured, and if I smoothed it out, it would look funny when I painted over it. How's this for not smoothing it out?? UGGGGG!!
Mason had literally hundreds of places where he just hung something up with push pins. Luckily, as evidence by the picture above, I did not patch those little holes. I figured the paint would just fill them it. Wrong. You can purposefully take your brush and dab paint into the hole to cover it, but just rolling over it will not necessarily do the trick. But, if you choose to take your brush and do that, you will have the patch spots from the earlier picture. Are you getting my issues here?
Like I said, it is not awful, but it was clearly done by me. Mason is so kind and is saying that he likes it. I suggested that we get some nice looking pictures of guitars and things like that that he is into and hang them on the walls over some of the problem areas. Turns out........ he wants the walls blank. He said he does not see a need to put anything on the walls. We will have to see if I can go with that plan given that everytime I walk in there these things glare at me.
5 comments:
WOW Mason I LOVE IT!!! It looks sp fantastic, and when I saw the 1st pic i thought, "This should really suit Mason.". I saw your personality in the way the Guitar, Keyboard & Amplifier (is my spelling correct?) was set up- it looks FANTASTIC! And as for you Aunt Kelly, well, uh, I dont know how to say this but....IT LOOKS GREAT!! Don't worry about those spots! It looks great! :) Love ya'll! :)
I don't think I have ever heard anyone go into so much description about what they did wrong on a project! You only see the imperfections b/c you painted it- we all do that! Mason must be very proud of his room b/c his MOM took the time to paint it for HIM! I love the brown- I feel calm just looking at it!
jo
that wasn't my dresser
jo
that wasn't my dresser
jo
Kel- I like the color, I like the love you put into it (and Tim...at 5:30am!!), I really like the straight lines on the baseboards, I like the just right amount of space from ceiling to paint, and I like you!!! I'm serious to all of that! I can't wait to see both rooms in person...
Cheri
Post a Comment