This weekend, Mason attended a Canoe Clinic put on by the Red Cross. He received his certification that is good for life with no renewal. He also received the Boy Scout Canoeing Merit Badge.
The weekend started off with rescue breathing training. I was quite glad that he and Justin were in the first group after I saw the abundance of saliva when they were finished!
The next element of the training was the swim test.
They had to demonstrate that they could put on and secure a PFD in deep water. (You guys probably call them "life jackets." We trained professionals call them PFDs for "Personal Flotation Device.")
Knot tying was a significant element of the training. They had to demonstrate 10 different knots to two different instructors and get them signed off.
In this picture, they are still in their canoe. This was the "get to the shore in your sunken canoe by paddling with your hands" drill.
5 comments:
Too cool! I had no idea about paddling on your knees! Julie
I have to agree w/Julie; too cool! And I didn't have any idea about paddling w/knees either :). So Aunt Kelly...you are a professional now? Just kidding- love you all!
Way to go Mason!
Do you have any hair left on your ankles?
jo
Wow!! What a dedicated scout you are, Mason!!!I am very proud of you!!
Tell John that Ryan and I are proud of him, too!
Aunt Cheri
What a great weekend, I am so happy for Mason to be getting so much great experiences!! Sounds like you enjoyed it too, Kel. Dare I ask how you slept? What was your pillow situation?:)
-Deb
Post a Comment